What we know so far!
- S8 and S8+ 5 Colours (Black, Grey, Silver, Gold and Blue)*
The first big change to both devices is the Infinity Display (an almost bezel-free display, running the full width of the device, even curving around the edge (similar to the S7 Edge) also shrinking the forehead and chin of the front screen to tiny slivers. Samsung have even decided to get rid of the home button completely and replaced it with a pressure-sensitive section at the bottom of the devices. With both screens being HDR Enabled, you’ll get the best of both worlds with darker blacks and clearer whites.
- The S8 display will be a 5.8″ Super AMOLED display (1440×2960 (~570 ppi)
- The S8+ has 6.2″ Super AMOLED display (1440×2960 (~529 ppi), with Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
Both phones are once again IP68 (water-resistant to a depth of 1.5 meters for 30 minutes.)
- Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 (Octa-core (4×2.35 GHz Kryo & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo)(US Only)
- Exynos 8895 Octa-Core (Octa-core (4×2.3 GHz & 4×1.7 GHz(EMEA)
The new chipsets inside have been improved to offer 10% more CPU power and 21% better management on the GPU.
Internal memory of 64gb with up to 256GB Micro SD card. with 4gb Ram.
The 12MP sensor on the back is still the best one around offering speedy snaps and amazing performance in low light. (“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” as my mum would say) However the front camera has been changed to an 8MP sensor, with a fun new effects button (think Snapchat filters without the need for Snapchat)
- Rear: 12 MP, f/1.7, 26mm, with phase detection autofocus, OIS and LED flash
- Front: 8MP, f/1.7, with autofocus, dual video call and Auto HDR.
- Video Recording: 2160p@60fps, 1080p@120fps, HDR, dual-video rec.
The S8 comes with the same 3000mAh as found in last years model with the S8+ getting a 3500mAh battery. USB Type C charging port with fast charging, with wireless charging making another appearance.
- Samsung DeX (Desktop Experience Support)
- Fingerprint Scanner (Moved to the back of the device)
- New biometric unlocking using either Iris Scanner or Facial Recognition
- Samsung partnership with Harmon, including some new EKG headphones in the box
- SHealth and many more!
The release of the device is looking to be set for April 21st. £689 (S8) and £779 (S8+)
With the reveal over, stay tuned as myself and the rest of the TechspertTalks team prepare for the Samsung Unpacked Podcast coming next week!
*Colour models will differ depending on regions and retailers